TMJ disorders can affect your quality of life and can bring about regular pain, discomfort or dysfunction. If you have symptoms of TMJ, our dentist in Santa Clara may recommend treatment. The best treatment will depend on your symptoms, the cause of your TMJ problems and your overall needs.
Treatments can include:
• Soft diet to reduce the strain on the joint
• Physical therapy, which can help strengthen the muscles supporting the jaw
• Ice packs or moist heat to ease inflammation or swelling
• Anti-inflammatory medications, muscle relaxants, anti-anxiety medications, antidepressants and pain relievers
• Oral splints to address bruxism or other issues contributing to the problem
• Stress reduction since tension can contribute to symptoms
• Lifestyle changes to address underlying issues
• Orthodontic treatment to correct bite abnormalities and reduce strain on the joint
In some cases, surgery may be necessary to address persistent symptoms or structural problems.
Several treatments may be combined to achieve the best results for your TMJ disorder. Our dentist will begin by examining your jaw, bite and other oral structures. He will then review your symptoms, medical history, and dental history before creating your fully customized treatment plan. Call us today to learn more or to schedule an appointment with our expert in TMJ treatment in Santa Clara.