According to the American Academy of Sleep Medicine, sleep apnea affects about 25 million American adults daily. Obstructive sleep apnea, or OSA, is described by the frequent pauses in breathing during sleep. These pauses can occur hundreds of times a night, interrupting your sleep and depriving your body of oxygen. Our dentist in Agoura Hills helps patients understand the symptoms of sleep apnea and gets them treatment they need.
You may have sleep apnea if:
• Your partner hears you snoring loudly or frequently.
• You often wake up gasping for air.
• You feel tired during the day.
• You have to use the bathroom several times a night.
• You have high blood pressure.
• You wake up with a headache.
• You have a dry mouth or sore throat in the morning.
• You are overweight or obese.
• You have difficulty paying attention or remembering things during the day.
These symptoms can be easy to overlook for a lot of patients, but further evaluation may be needed if you are suffering from one or more of these. Without treatment, sleep apnea can increase the risk of heart problems, depression and weight gain that can be life-threatening. Call us today to learn more or to schedule your appointment with our expert in sleep apnea in Agoura Hills.