TMJ is a common problem that most typically affects women in midlife but can affect people of all ages. It can cause discomfort, pain and dysfunction, but it is also highly treatable. If you have symptoms of TMJ, our dentist in Santa Clara can help.
Common symptoms of TMJ can include:
• Pain or tenderness in the jaw
• Pain or tenderness in the face
• Aching pain in or around the ear
• A popping or grating sensation accompanied by pain when you use your jaw
• Difficulty chewing
• Pain while chewing
• Locking in the joint, which makes it hard to open or close your mouth
The cause of TMJ is not always easily identifiable. It has been associated with bruxism, bite problems, stress, overuse and arthritis, but other issues can contribute or cause its onset or aggravate the symptoms. Conservative treatments include at-home care, physical therapy, medications, cool or warm compresses, and rest. Some patients may need surgery to recover fully. The goal of treatment is to ease symptoms and restore function. Call us today to learn more or to schedule an appointment with our expert in TMJ in Santa Clara.