Regular dental visits are an important part of any good dental health strategy. Just a few decades ago, people rarely visited the dentist unless they had a noticeable dental health problem. This led to many people losing teeth because the dental disease would be too advanced to treat. Today, the ADA has set standards for preventive dentistry that can help save smiles.
Visiting the dentist twice a year is a good general guideline for most people. Every six months, you can get a checkup and professional cleaning to help prevent dental disease. However, there is no one-size-fits-all solution for anyone. In fact, you may need more or less frequent appointments based on your personal risk factors for dental disease.
High-risk groups that may need checkups more frequently than every six months include:
• Pregnant women
• Those with weakened immune systems or systemic conditions
• Patients with active gum disease
• Those who are vulnerable to plaque and tartar buildup
• Patients who tend to get cavities frequently
• Patients who have poor dental hygiene or other lifestyle factors that increase their risk of dental problems
Your personal needs can change over the course of your life. Call us today to schedule your next dental checkup with our dentists in Westlake Village.