Dental sedation is the use of anti-anxiety medication to calm and relax you before and during dental treatment. It can be used for routine dental care or more extensive procedures, such as root canal treatments or dental extractions. Sedation can be especially helpful for complex or lengthy processes like full-mouth reconstructions.
Our Huntington Beach dentist may recommend dental sedation if you:
- Have dental anxiety that makes it difficult for you to seek dental care
- Have dental phobia
- Delay or avoid dental care entirely
- Need extensive dental care
- Have a sensitive gag reflex or sensitive teeth
- Have difficulty getting numb
- Struggle with neck, jaw, or back pain that interferes with your ability to sit through dental treatment
- Have difficulty controlling movement
- Have a history of traumatic dental experiences
During your initial consultation, we may ask about any medical conditions you have and medications you take to ensure your safety. We will determine the best sedative based on this and other information. Inhaled sedation and oral conscious sedation are the two most common and safest sedation options and are generally effective for most patients.
If you struggle with dental anxiety and have been avoiding dental care, sedation can help you comfortably and safely get the care you need. Call us today to learn more or to schedule your appointment with our dental sedation dentist in Huntington Beach.