Dental implants are the preferred treatment for tooth loss. For a variety of reasons, a patient may choose to receive mini dental implants.
Advantages of Mini Implants
• Small: The narrow diameter of a mini implant allows it to fit into spaces that are too small to accommodate a standard sized implant.
• Quick treatment: Mini implants can often be placed in a single appointment, in a procedure that is less invasive than that of standard implants.
• Short recovery: Since the procedure is not invasive, healing time is short.
• Cost: Mini implants are inexpensive compared to standard implants.
• Preserves bone: Mini implants prevent bone loss just like the root of a natural tooth. This avoids facial collapse, allowing patients to maintain the shape of their face.
• Comfortable: Ordinary dentures can slip or become uncomfortable. This is not the case when dentures are supported by implants, since these dentures are held in place by the implants.
Disadvantages of Mini Implants
• Requires sufficient bone: Mini implants require sufficient vertical bone to support them. Sometimes a bone graft can be used to build up bone if the amount of bone is not sufficient.
• Shorter shelf life of dentures: Dentures supported by implants require more care than regular dentures, and may not last as long.
To learn more about mini implants or to see if you qualify, contact our implants dentist in Beverly Hills.