The field of dentistry is one that is constantly evolving, developing new tools and technology to simplify procedures and create more pleasant experiences for patients. One of these new developments is using lasers in many different areas of dentistry.
Lasers work by transferring energy in the form of light. In medical procedures, lasers are usually used as instruments to cut or vaporize tissue, but they are used in several different ways in a variety of dental procedures. Our expert in laser dentistry in Los Angeles can use this tool to:
- Eliminate tooth decay and prepare enamel for a filling
- Activate the peroxide bleaching solution used in whitening treatments
- Reshape gums effected by gum disease
- Eliminate bacteria during root canal therapy
- Remove tissues from the mouth, such as lesions, canker sores, or biopsy samples
There are many advantages of using lasers in dentistry. The main benefit is that they can reduce the risk of pain, reducing the use of anesthesia. It is also a useful alternative for those who become uncomfortable or scared at the idea of a dental drill. They also minimize bleeding and swelling during soft tissue treatments, and preserve the healthy areas of a tooth during cavity removal.
To find out if lasers can be used during your next dental procedure, talk to our cosmetic dentist in Los Angeles.