Bruxism, or tooth grinding, affects between eight and thirty percent of adults. It is a common and often underdiagnosed problem that can damage your teeth, gums, and jaw. Recognizing the symptoms of tooth grinding can ensure you get the prompt, effective treatment you need.
You might grind your teeth if you:
• Occasionally or regularly awaken a sleep partner with the sounds of grinding or clenching
• Have tight or tense jaw muscles
• Have an earache without an ear infection or other ear problem
• Have worn enamel
• Have flattened, chipped, or fractured teeth
• Have sensitive teeth
• Bite or chew on the insides of your cheeks
• Bite or chew on your tongue or have indentations on your tongue
• Wake with a dull headache
If you believe that you suffer from teeth grinding, you need to schedule an evaluation. Our dentist will examine your teeth to determine the extent of the damage and discover any underlying issues.
Most patients who grind their teeth respond well to night guards. A night guard is a custom designed mouth guard that slips over your teeth and prevents grinding, protecting the wearer from further dental damage. A night guard may be used alone or in conjunction with other anti-bruxism therapies. Call our office today to find out more or to schedule an appointment with our dentist in Agoura Hills.